Wednesday 23 November 2011

Stand up for yourself...or at least try!

Today was a very difficult day for me. This is why...

I started my bookkeeping business a little over a year ago. Starting I really didn't know what to charge or anything about running a business, as I was literally starting from scratch. I looked around a little just asking even strangers in business what I should charge. I found a number and went with it. I got two clients quite quickly, then another. Things have been going really well, going along in my daily routine.

Then this month I was asked to increase my responsibility, being in charge of the entire financial role in the company. After much deliberation, finding surveys and graphs for market pay, and asking every business owner I know, I asked for more money. Quite a bit more money, thinking "well of course there will be negotiation". WRONG!!

I got a call and was told that I was being opportunistic and that they wouldn't be willing to pay me anything more. Well, as the expression goes, I could have been knocked over with a feather. I was told that my new responsibilities are still in my job description and I basically could have made more money, just because I would be putting in more time. I have been charging under market value, and it wasn't about the bottom line, but being appreciated.

Got my pride kicked in the ass! But here's what I learned today...I stood up for myself, which for people who know me, has never been my strong suit. I knew asking for more, there was the chance that I would lose that client. I didn't expect to, but I was prepared to.

I gave notice today with my backbone in tact. I feel like I made the best decision for me right now in my life. I deserve better than I received.

So if this is a lesson for anyone, in order to create loyalty in your company, appreciate your staff. In order to make more money (and fair market pay) be prepared to make ZERO!

No comments:

Post a Comment